Advisees have the following responsibilities:
- Clarify their personal values, abilities, interests, and goals.
- Contact and make an appointment with the advisor when required or when in need of assistance. If the student finds
it impossible to keep the appointment, the student will notify the advisor.
- Become knowledgeable and adhere to institutional policies, procedures, and requirements.
- Prepare for advising sessions and bring appropriate resources or materials.
- Follow through on actions identified during each advising session.
- Evaluate the advising system, when requested, in order to strengthen the advising process.
- Request reassignment of a different advisor if necessary.
- Accept final responsibility for all decisions.
- Read the catalogue.
- Attend and participate in class.
- Get involved in campus and community events.
Advisors roles and responsibilities:
- Help students develop realistic educational career plans.
- Assist students plan a program consistent with their abilities and interests.
- Monitor student progress toward educational/career goals.
- Interpret and provide rationale for instructional policies, procedures, and requirements.
- Approve all designated educational transactions. (E.g., schedule drops and adds, withdrawals, change of major.)
- Maintain an advising file for each advisee.
- Refer students to other resources on campus and in the community when needed.
- Inform students of the nature of the advisor/advisee relationship.
- Assist advisees in identifying career opportunities.
- Inform students of special services available to them for remediation, academic assistance, and other needs.