SUBJECT: Smoking Policy
POLICY #: ADMN 118
AUTHORIZED BY: Associate Dean for Administrative and Financial Services 6/4/13
APPROVED BY: Dean of the University 6/4/13
I. Smoking and use of all tobacco products is prohibited in all USC-owned or -leased buildings, buildings on university-owned land, all university vehicles and in designated outdoor areas including:
- Entrances, balconies, decks, patios and outside stairways to buildings and outdoor passageways to entrances, decks, patios and stairways
- Within twenty-five (25) feet of a building or an air intake unit/opening
- Courtyards or other areas where air circulation may be impeded by architectural, landscaping or other barriers
- Outdoor entry or service lines, such as for ticket purchases, event admissions, bus stops, ATMs, etc.
- Outdoor seating areas provided by dining services on campus
- Outdoor areas where there is fixed seating
- Areas that are reserved for events that do not have fixed seating but for which the sponsor determines that the interests of nonsmokers need to be protected such as outdoor concerts, university receptions, etc.
II. The sale, sampling or advertisement of all tobacco products or their use shall be prohibited on the University of South Carolina campus and in all USC publications.
III. All members of the USC community, including visitors and vendors working on campus, are expected to comply with this policy. This policy relies on the consideration and cooperation of tobacco users and non-users.
IV. Enforcement for the policy is the responsibility of each member of the Carolina community. Faculty, staff, and/or students are expected to enforce the policy for their facilities and/or sponsored activities.
V. Violations of this policy are covered by existing faculty and staff employment policies and student conduct regulations and as such will be responded to within the realm, responses, and consequences allowed by those policies or regulations.
Reference USC Columbia No Smoking Policy: http://www.sa.sc.edu/shs/hc/tobacco/policy/