The University requires that all accidents on campus and all accidents involving University vehicles off campus be reported to appropriate officials as outlined below.
- For all accidents resulting in bodily injury, the first call should be to "911", reporting the bodily injury and requesting an ambulance or emergency medical squad.
- Accidents Involving a University Vehicle on Campus
- Contact the Assistant Dean for Administrative and Financial Services and have the following information available:
- Where the accident occurred;
- Number of vehicles involved;
- Whether the accident is considered a "major" or "minor" one, and whether an ambulance has already been requested.
- A City of Sumter Police officer will be sent to the area and an accident report will be initiated.
- Accidents Involving Privately-Owned Vehicles on Campus
- Follow the procedure outlined in Paragraph B.1., above.
- A City of Sumter Police officer will be sent to the area to initiate the necessary information.
- Completed reports will be forwarded to the South Carolina Department of Public Safety.
- Accidents Involving a University Vehicle Off Campus
- Accidents occurring off campus should be investigated by the local police department, sheriff's department or by the SC Highway Patrol, as appropriate.
- Contact the Assistant Dean for Administrative and Financial Services upon your return to campus.
- For all accidents involving a University vehicle, Transportation Services will be contacted by the Assistant Dean for Administrative and Financial Services to insure that a University report is completed involving a University vehicle.
- Depending on the determination made by Transportation Services, employees involved in an accident with a University vehicle may be required to attend a State sponsored Defensive Driving Course at their own expense, before driving privileges are restored.
- It is the responsibility of Transportation Services to contact the University insurance agent. For information purposes, the University insurance agency information is as follows.
James C. Greene Company
PO Box 616
Columbia, SC 29202 -0616
Telephone: (803) 771-8820