ACAD 110 is a complete revision of the previous ACAD 110 and ACAD 113 and supersedes those polices. It should be read in conjunction with ACAD 102, 103, 109, 110A, and the Regional Campuses Faculty Manual.
For division chairs going through peer review, the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs serves the role of the division chair as described in 110A.
The Peer Review Process
- Dates shown in this policy are typical. A calendar is published each year with specific dates which may vary slightly from the dates shown here.
- The Peer Review Process can be constituted in a variety of ways:
By September15 faculty members will inform their division chair and the Academic Affairs office of their peer review status and choices using the Peer Review Procedure Election Form.
- The faculty member may choose to use the peer review committee elected by the USC Sumter Faculty Organization.
- The faculty member may select his/her own Peer Review Committee. This Committee will consist of no fewer than five faculty, some (but not all) of whom may be from a campus other than USC Sumter. Those faculty members from USC Sumter must be tenured; those from other campuses need not be tenured.
- The faculty member may select his/her own immediate division chair as constituting the Peer Review Committee.
- The faculty member may ask his/her division chair to select the members of the Peer Review Committee. This Committee will consist of no fewer than five faculty, some (but not all) of whom may be from a campus other than USC Sumter. Those faculty from USC Sumter must be tenured, those from other campuses need not be tenured.
- Those faculty going through 3rd-Year Review, or consideration for Promotion, or consideration for Tenure, or post-tenure review will use that evaluation process as a legitimate substitute for the Peer Review Process.
- All faculty members will complete the Annual Activities Form by March 1. Any supporting material for the file should also be complete by this time. This form will be the foundation for the administrative evaluation of faculty members and will also be used as part of the Peer Review Process.
The following material will also be part of the peer review:
- An up-to-date vita. (For untenured faculty this will be a historical vita containing all relevant information since joining the campus or since their last promotion. For tenured faculty, this will be a historical vita since the last major review for tenure, promotion, or post-tenure review).
- The previous administrative evaluation (s) since the last review.
- Student evaluation summary data from courses taught since the last review.
- Past peer-review instruments presenting data since the last review.
- A statement of four (4) pages or less from the faculty member about past and anticipated future activity.
- In the Peer Review Process options A, C, and D [item 2] above, all members of the Committee (or the division chair if option C is selected) will evaluate the faculty member in each category of the ballot form and will provide appropriate justification.
- In options A and D [item 2] above, the Committee will deliberate during the months of March and April and will complete its work by April 15. The standard ballot will be used. Completed ballots with copies of individual typed comments and statistical summary sheet will be provided to the division chair who will pass these on to the faculty member under review before or during the annual evaluation. The file will be returned to the faculty member by the division chair. One copy of the completed Peer Review evaluation form with copies of individual typed comments will be placed in the faculty member's file in the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs office. The original Peer Review evaluation form and the original ballots will be placed in the faculty member's file in the Dean's office.
- In option C [item 2] above, the division chair will complete the Peer Review form in conjunction with the annual administrative evaluation process.
- In option B [item 2] above, faculty members are encouraged to complete all necessary activities as early as possible.
- By December 15 faculty members will provide a listing of the members of their self-selected Peer Review Committee to their division chair and the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs.
- By January 15 the members of the Committee will meet and select a Chair. The Committee Chair will be responsible for gathering all the Committee members' evaluations and submitting these typed materials to the appropriate division chair by the April 15 deadline to complete the process. All of this material will constitute the Peer Review.
- The model for the actions of the Committee will be the Promotion and Tenure Committee. Thus, the Committee Chair will call the members together to discuss the faculty members’ materials and then the members will provide typed justifications for their evaluations. The Chair will collect these typed evaluations (which will represent the Peer Review). The Chair will then deliver this material to the appropriate division chair by the April 15 deadline.
- After reviewing the materials, the division chair will forward the peer review evaluations to the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs. The Associate Dean for Academic Affairs will review the peer review forms, retain a copy in the office files, and send a copy to the division chairs to be distributed to each faculty member. A copy will be sent to the Dean’s office to be filed in the faculty member’s personnel file.
Faculty members who are dissatisfied with the results of the Peer Review Process may appeal to the USC Sumter Grievance Committee.
Review of Faculty Administrators
In cases where the Division Chair is under review, the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs will serve in the role of the Division Chair
The report should include evaluations of “Highly Effective”, "Above Satisfactory", "Satisfactory", "Marginal", "Unsatisfactory", and "Not Applicable" for each of the following categories:
- Effectiveness as a Teacher and/or Librarian
This report will also have a section for the justification of the evaluation of the Committee.
Peer Review Procedure Election
The following form is to be completed by all full-time faculty members and returned to their division chairs by September 15 each year. The Division Chair will forward a copy to the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs.
Academic Year: _____________________
_____ I will not go through peer review this academic year because:
_____ I am going through third-year review this academic year.
_____ I am applying for promotion/tenure this academic year.
_____ I am a tenured faculty member who goes through Peer Review every third year. My next Peer Review will take place during Academic Year ___________.
_____I am a tenured faculty member who is going through post tenure review this year.
_____ I will go through peer review this academic year. I elect the following procedure:
_____I choose to use the Peer Review Committee elected by the USC Sumter Faculty Organization.
_____ I will select my own Peer Review Committee. This committee will consist of no fewer than five faculty some of whom may be from a campus other than USC Sumter. Those faculty from USC Sumter must be tenured; those from other campuses need not be tenured. By December 15 I will provide my division chair with a listing of the members of this Committee.
_____ I select my division chair as my Peer Review Committee.
_____ I want my Division chair to select my Peer Review Committee in accordance with ACAD 110.
____________________________ / ______________
Signature / Date
Peer Review Committee List
This form should be turned into the Division Chair no later than December 15th. The Division chair will forward a copy of this form to the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs.
Academic Year: ___________________
Faculty Member: _____________________________
I select the following faculty members to serve on my peer review committee for this academic year:
If any of these committee members are not tenured faculty members at USC Sumter, I have indicated how they may be contacted.
Signature / Date
Peer Review Committee Appointment
The Division Chair uses this form to record appointments to Peer Review Committees when the faculty member has asked the Division Chair to appoint a Peer Review Committee. The original is sent to the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs. A copy is sent to the faculty member. This form should be completed by December 15th.
Academic Year: ______________
Faculty Member: ________________________
I appoint the following faculty members to serve on this Peer Review Committee this academic year:
_______________________________ / ______________
Division Chair / Date