SUBJECT: File Guidelines for Promotion, Tenure, and Third-Year Review
POLICY #: ACAD109B
AUTHORIZED BY: Associate Dean for Academic Affairs date 10/01/08
APPROVED BY: Regional Campus Dean date 10/01/08
1. Each year by July 1, the Administrative Assistant for Academic Affairs will provide a binder to each faculty member scheduled for promotion, tenure, post-tenure review and third-year review. The binder will include the following items:
A partial set of materials can be made available prior to July 1. Interested faculty should contact the Administrative Assistant for Academic Affairs for details.
2. The faculty member bears primary responsibility for the preparation and submission of the Tenure and Promotion File (T & P File) on which tenure, promotion, post-tenure review, and third-year review will be based.
3. A faculty member's T & P File consists of a one page vita, the Regional Campus "Tenure and Promotion File Form" (RCTP), information requested by the tenure and promotion process (items a - f listed above), information selected by the applicant to support her/his application (such as: letters of support from colleagues and students, recommendations from supervisors, other documentation, and support).
4. The narrative of the RCTP File Form will normally not exceed 25 single-sided typed pages. This limit of 25 typed pages excludes documents mandated by campus policy and materials added by the various levels of review. Pages within the T & P file are to be numbered per instructions on the RCTP form (e.g., RCTP 4.1, 4.2, 4.3, etc.)
5. This 25-page narrative should be arranged in the following order:
6. The narrative may refer to materials contained within the Other Items section of the file or an accompanying Reference Collection.
7. The Other Items section of the T & P file must contain the following information (by documents) in reverse chronological order. Also, any other documents deemed important by the candidate can be placed in this section but must count as part of the 25 pages.
8. The faculty member may choose to prepare an accompanying Reference Collection of documents (letters of support for teaching and/or scholarship, books, other publications, copies of grant proposals, student evaluations, etc.). If so, the reference collection will not be duplicated, but it will accompany the T & P file through the various levels of review. The candidate should request through the Regional Campuses Office that all Reference Collection materials be returned to the candidate at the end of the review process.
9. Besides the documentation provided within the Other Items section of the T&P File, the narrative itself and/or Reference Collection should contain additional documentation when relevant to the criteria and to the candidate under consideration:
10. Apart from material added by the candidate, only materials from the Division Chair, the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs, campus Tenure and Promotion Committee, the Regional Campus Dean, the Vice Provost and Executive Dean for Regional Campuses and Continuing Education, and the Regional Campuses Tenure and Promotion Committee may be added to the file. Except for those items as specified by campus and Regional Campuses policy, the T&P File must be complete by October 1, before the Division Chair begins to review.
11. Neither the candidate nor any other person may bar or remove any document or other evidence (duly filed and permitted by the T&P process) from the T&P File.
12. No faculty member other than the candidate, Division Chair, Associate Dean for Academic Affairs, or Dean may require that any document or other evidence be included in the file, but campus T&P Committee members may cite or quote from any evidence not in the file in their vote justifications or in separate letters to the Dean. Justifications, which accompany individual votes, will become a part of the T&P File.
13. Letters written by outside reviewers or faculty members in previous years are not automatically included in the file. The candidate or a reviewer may include such a letter in the file but must have the author's permission.
14. After the campus review process begins, only the following items may be added to the file:
15. Summary and file composition and order (tabulated sections):
**Associate Dean for Academic Affairs Office Provides
***Academic Data Coordinator Provides
****Respective Division Administrative Assistant Provides