SUBJECT: One-Year Term Appointments
POLICY #: ACAD100A
AUTHORIZED BY: Associate Dean for Academic Affairs date 4/1/97
APPROVED BY: Dean of the University date 4/1/97
1. Appointments to the regular faculty for one-year terms are not preferred. Wherever possible, a need for regular faculty should be filled by means of a tenure track appointment.
2. Appointments to the regular faculty for one-year terms may be made when the need for a regular faculty appointment is demonstrated and when one or more of the following circumstances apply:
a. There is insufficient time to conduct a national search for a tenure track faculty appointment before the need must be filled;
b. There is reason to believe that the need for the regular faculty appointment might not extend beyond one year;
c. Unsettled conditions and program needs leave reason to believe that the position description for the slot in question might change after one or two years, requiring the appointment to the same position of a person with different qualifications;
d. The Dean has decided that the position will be filled by means of a one-year term appointment.
3. One-year term appointments may NOT be made in order to determine the suitability of a candidate for a position for a tenure track position. Tenure track positions are filled by means of a national search. Individuals holding one-year appointments may not be automatically promoted to tenure track status, nor given any particular preference should they subsequently apply in a national search for a tenure track position.
4. Unless the Dean determines otherwise, preference in the employment of regular faculty on one-year appointments will be given to those applicants who hold an earned doctorate in the discipline in which they are being recruited to teach; or, in the case of appointments in more than one discipline, in one of the disciplines in which they are being recruited to teach.
5. The following procedure will be used to recruit and select regular faculty for one-year term appointments:
a. The division chair in whose division the vacancy exists will recommend to the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs that the vacancy be filled by a one-year term appointment.
b. Upon approval by the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs, the division chair will consult with the Human Relations Officer to determine the proper steps to follow in filling the position in this manner, and will follow those steps.
c. The division chair will file a formal request in writing to the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs, including as part of the request the text of a proposed position description and the text of a proposed advertisement for the position; along with a written justification for each. The advertisement will include a deadline date for receipt of applications not less than 30 days from the date of the formal request. The Associate Dean for Academic Affairs will forward the request with his or her endorsement and recommendation to the Dean.
d. The Dean will review the request, the position description, and the advertisement; and approve, disapprove, or modify each. He or she also will insure that proper University authorities review and approve each, as may be necessary.
e. Upon the Dean's approval, the division chair will coordinate with the Human Relations Officer and the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs to insure that proper search procedures are followed and that financial expenses are properly accounted.
f. The approved advertisement will be placed in the Sumter Item and the Columbia State newspapers, to run for one day or two days, at the Dean's discretion.
g. The division chair will make up a flyer, consisting of a single sheet of paper, an expanded text of the advertisement on one side and a statement describing the University, the campus, and the community on the other. The Office of the Dean will provide the text of the descriptive statement. Copies of the flyer will be mailed to in-state higher education institutions which graduate or employ individuals with the degree and discipline required for the position. The Office of the Dean will provide the mailing list for the copies of the flyer.
h. The division chair will assemble a search committee from his or her division, plus the Human Resources Officer, to assist in reviewing applications and recommending applicants for appointment.
i. The division chair will give to the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs an unranked list of the names of applicants recommended for the position, along with the application files of each. The Associate Dean for Academic Affairs will forward these files, along with his or her endorsements and recommendations, to the Dean.
j. The Dean will select one candidate to be brought to USC Sumter for interview. The interview process will consume no more than a single day. As it is expected that all candidates will come from within South Carolina or an adjacent state, USC Sumter will pay vehicular mileage expenses to the candidate, and will provide meals while the candidate is present for and travelling to and from the interview, but will provide no additional travel reimbursements nor lodging expenses.
k. Should the candidate be found acceptable for the position by the division chair and the search committee, the division chair will recommend to the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs that an offer of employment for a one-year term be extended to the candidate. The Associate Dean for Academic Affairs will forward this recommendation, along with his or her endorsements and recommendations, to the Dean. If the Dean approves, the division chair will make the offer of employment.
l. Should the Dean not approve the offer of employment to the recommended candidate, or should the preferred candidate not accept the offer of employment, the Dean will select another acceptable candidate from the list of recommended candidates already submitted. Should there be no other acceptable candidates on the list, the division chair will provide another list of unranked names, as in paragraph 5.i., above, and the process will run again until an appointment has been made.
m. All one-year term appointments must be made in a manner consistent with relevant University regulations.
n. USC Sumter will pay the moving expenses of the appointed individual in the same manner as if the individual had been appointed to a tenure track position.
6. Regular faculty employed on one-year term appointments carry the rank of INSTRUCTOR, unless the Dean otherwise approves an exception.
7. Faculty serving on one-year term appointments are members of the regular faculty, with all the rights, privileges, and responsibilities appertaining thereunto; except such as inhere in position on the tenure track.