Office of Student Disability Services, USC Sumter

The Advisement and Counseling Office

Administration Building, Rm 101

(803) 938-3800


Differences between Disability Services in high school and college.

Have you ever wondered what the differences are between Disability Services in high school and college?


  • Student responsibilities are different in college

  • Student must disclose the disability to Disability Services to be considered for services and accommodations.

  • It is the student’s responsibility to obtain and provide adequate documentation regarding their disability.

  • Request services EACH semester that they are needed.

  • Disclose to professors their registration with the Disability Services office EACH semester. In order to use accommodations the student must take a letter from Disability Services to each professor and discuss accommodations.

  • Student must inform Disability Services staff of any problems with accommodations.


Documentation requirements are different in college


  • IEPs are not acceptable documentation. IEPs are a contract between the student and the high school.

  • 504 Plans are not acceptable documentation. While high schools and colleges both fall under Section 504, colleges fall under a different subsection.

  • In college, the actual psychoeducational evaluation is required for learning disabilities and may be requested for ADD/ADHD.

  • Among other requirements, documentation can be no more than 3 years old for learning disabilities, ADD/ADHD, physical or health disabilities, and neurological disabilities.

  • Among other requirements, documentation can be no more than 6 months old for psychiatric disabilities.



top of back button menu

Back to previous page