STAFF ORGANIZATION CHARTER
The USC Sumter Staff Organization exists as an advisory body, sponsored by and administratively responsible to the Dean of the Campus. The Organization is committed to the ideals of the institution and seeks to foster a spirit of unity and cooperation among all employees by providing a forum for the discussion of policies and issues that affect the staff at USC Sumter.
The purpose of the USC Sumter Staff Organization will be to provide a means to express the recommendations of the staff regarding the existing policies at USC Sumter or the desire for new policies or programs which affect the staff as a whole. The Organization provides a vehicle for expressing those advisory recommendations to the Dean and the administration of USC Sumter. The Staff Organization shall not consider issues involving individual employees such as disciplinary actions, performance appraisals, compensation, or other individual employment related matters not specifically named herein. (Staff with individual complaints or grievances are encouraged to use the complaint and grievance procedures provided in State regulations and University of South Carolina policy.) The empowerment limits of the Staff Organization are to renew and recommend appropriate matters to the administration, and to advise the Dean of the Campus.
The categories of membership in the USC Sumter Staff Organization are:
1. Active members: full-time permanent classified employees of the University of South Carolina at Sumter who have completed one year of satisfactory employment with USC Sumter.
2. Associate members: full-time and part-time temporary non-faculty employees of
3. the University of South Carolina at Sumter. Associate members have all the privileges of active members except they may not vote on issues before the Staff Organization. However, the Staff Organization can extend them voting rights for any specific issue that the Staff Organization may deem appropriate. The Executive Committee (see ARTICLE III, Section 1 for committee composition)may recommend to the Staff Organization that membership be extended to certain administrative faculty positions, subject to annual review.
4. The USC Sumter Director of Human Resources will be an ex-officio member of the Staff Organization.
Section 1. The policies and business of the Staff Organization will be determined by the Executive Committee, subject to state laws and regulations and the policies and procedures of the University of South Carolina.
Section 2. The officers of the Staff Organization will consist of a President, Vice-President, and a Recorder.
Section 3. Each officer will take office the first meeting following their election. In the case of an unexpired term of the President, the Vice-President will assume the office and duties of the President for the remainder of the unexpired term. Officers may be reelected to the same office not to exceed two (2) consecutive terms.
1. The President is the chief executive officer of the Staff Organization and will be a member of all standing and appointed Committees. The President will preside at all meetings of the Organization.
2. The Vice-President will preside at any meeting for which the President is not available.
3. The Recorder will be responsible for recording the minutes of all Executive Committee and general Staff Organization meetings. Copies of the minutes of the Executive Committee will be provided to the Executive Committee and to the Dean of the Campus within ten (10) working days of each Executive Committee meeting. The Recorder will also be responsible for the maintenance and preservation of all Organization records. Should the office of Recorder become vacant during the term of office, the President will appoint a successor to fill the vacancy until the next meeting, whereupon a special election will be held to fill the unexpired term.
Section 4. Officers will serve for a period of two years beginning 1 July and ending 30 June.
Section 1. The Executive Committee will be a permanent standing committee which will determine the policies and business of the Staff Organization subject to state laws and regulations and the policies and procedures of the University of South Carolina. The membership of this Committee will consist of the President, Vice-President, the Recorder, and two other members that the Staff Organization will elect to serve a two (2) year term beginning 1 July and ending 30 June. They will meet prior to any scheduled organization meeting to prepare the agenda and conduct any necessary Staff Organization business.
Section 2. The Executive Committee may establish, abolish, or modify any regular or special Committee of the Staff Organization as it determines necessary, with the exception of the Executive Committee.
Section 3. The President of the Staff Organization will serve as the head of the Executive Committee, but will vote only when it is necessary to break a tie vote of the other members.
Section 1. Special elections can be held at a regular or special meeting to fill any vacated position other than that of President (see Article II, Section ).
Section 2. A Nominating Committee will be appointed by the Executive Committee and will be responsible for providing to the Staff Organization membership a list of nominees for the position of President, Vice-President, Recorder, and the two (2) additional Executive Committee members. The list will be provided to the membership at least two (2) weeks prior to the meeting at which the election of officers is scheduled to take place. The list may be provided via E:mail and/or printed copy through campus mail. Additional nominations will be permitted from the floor during that meeting with the condition that any member making a nomination from the floor must have prior consent of the member being nominated.
Section 3. Minutes of all meetings of the Staff Organization will be kept by the Recorder and made available to all members of the Organization and the administration of USC Sumter at the same time through publication on an electronic bulletin board or other appropriate means of communication.
Section 1. USC Sumter Staff Organization meetings will be held at least once each quarter, with one of those meetings being in July.
Section 2. Notification of a general Staff Organization meeting must be made at least ten (10) working days in advance of the scheduled meeting to allow all Staff Organization members adequate time to prepare their schedules. Notification may be made by a combination of campus mail, U.S. Mail, FAX and electronic mail.
Once these Bylaws are adopted by a majority of the official voting membership present and approved by the Dean of the Campus and the administration of the University of South Carolina, they will supersede all operating procedures and materials of a related nature; however, they will not supersede state laws and regulations and the policies and procedures of the University of South Carolina.
1. The minutes of all meetings will be provided by the Recorder to all members of the Staff Organization and to the Dean of the Campus prior to the beginning of the next meeting.
2. A printed agenda will be provided by the Recorder of the Executive Committee for each meeting.
1. For an item of business to appear on the agenda, that item must be submitted in writing, by FAX, or via Electronic mail to any Executive Committee member at least one business day prior to the meeting. Emergency business items may be brought before the Staff Organization without prior distribution with the permission of the President or two-thirds (2/3) of the voting members present.
2. Any active member, associate member, or committee may place an item on an agenda.
1. Non-members may be invited by the Executive Committee to attend any general Staff Organization meeting or committee meeting with the right to debate only.
2. Executive Committee meetings will be open to any USC Sumter Staff Organization member.
The rules contained in the most recent edition of Roberts Rules of Order will govern the organization in all cases to which they are applicable and in which they are not inconsistent with these Bylaws and any special orders the organization may adopt.
This charter or any portion thereof may be recommended to be altered, amended, or repealed in whole or in part by a vote of at least two-thirds (2/3) of the voting members of the Staff Organization attending a regular or specially called meeting of the Organization before transmittal to the Dean for consideration. The Dean of the Campus and the University of South Carolina administration must approve all changes and/or additions before they become effective. No such amendments may be considered unless a written explanation of the amendments are provided to all voting members prior to the meeting.