STAFF EMPLOYEE OF THE QUARTER RECOGNITION COMMITTEE CHARTER
In 1992, USC Sumter established a recognition program for individual staff personnel. Specifically, recognition is given to an "Outstanding Staff Employee" four times per year. The Staff Employee of the Quarter Recognition Committee (SEQRC) serves as a standing institutional advisory committee whose purpose is to solicit and evaluate nominations, and make advisory recommendations to the Dean of the University regarding selection of individuals as the outstanding "Staff Employee of the Quarter."
As a Standing Institutional Committee, the sponsor of the SEQRC is the Dean of the University. The empowerment limits of the committee are to review, recommend, and advise the Dean of the University.
Each year, the four quarterly recipients from the previous year, upon approval by the Dean of the University, automatically become members of the committee for a one-year term. A fifth committee member is appointed annually as chairperson by the Dean of the University. Unanticipated vacancies on the committee will be filled by the Dean of the University. All terms end on June 30 of the year indicated in the term of appointment. All members of the committee serve voluntarily and at the pleasure of the Dean of the University.
PROCEDURES AND CRITERIA:
(1) Only full-time regular (permanent or "slotted") classified staff (employees without faculty rank) may be considered for the outstanding "Staff Employee of the Quarter" award.
(2) The Staff Employee of the Quarter Recognition Committee will review written nominations submitted by staff and faculty and choose the individual to be recommended to receive the quarterly award. The committee's selection of the outstanding "Staff Employee of the Quarter" will be based upon the individual's major accomplishments and outstanding contributions to USC Sumter during the calendar quarter for which nominees are being considered.
(3) Staff and faculty can nominate only one individual for a given quarterly award, and only full-time regular (permanent or "slotted") employees are eligible to submit nominations. A person submitting a nomination must give justification for that nomination, explaining why the nominee is deemed worthy to receive this special recognition. All nominations must be submitted in response to the quarterly call for nominations issued by the committee. Nominations must be submitted in sealed envelopes or by verifiable e-mail to the chairperson, who brings all nominations received to the full committee for review and consideration. Nominations that lack justification and/or signature or are otherwise unverifiable will be automatically disqualified.
(4) The committee chair will communicate the name of the committee's recommended choice to the Dean of the University, who will make all public announcements and recognitions of the recipient. Individual awards will consist of a personal letter of congratulations from the Dean of the University, a check intended to cover the cost of a dinner for two ($50.00 limit after withholdings), a desk pen set with engraved plaque, displaying of the recipient's name on a plaque honoring the "Outstanding Staff Employee of the Quarter" which is hung in the foyer of the Administration Building, preferential reserved parking for the following quarter, and recognition through appropriate news releases.
(5) Employees may be selected more than one time as the "Outstanding Staff Employee of the Quarter," but not during a single award year.
(6) Committee members are ineligible for nomination for a quarterly award for the duration of their service on the committee.
(8) The recipient of the annual H. D. Barnett, Sr., Award, which is presented to the staff member rendering the most outstanding service to USC Sumter during the entire year, is selected by the Dean of the University in the summer for recognition at the Awards Recognition Luncheon in the fall. These four staff members who have received the quarterly awards during the preceding four quarters automatically will be included in the pool of individuals considered for the H. D. Barnett, Sr., Award.
(9) The committee will publish summarized minutes of meetings, to be distributed to all faculty, staff, and student organizations, and other members of the campus community as requested or needed. Because of the nature of the work of the committee, and in the interest of protecting the dignity and privacy of the award nominees, the minutes will be edited to reflect only the general nature of the committee activities.
This document supersedes all previous charters for the Staff Employee of the Quarter Recognition Committee, in whole or in part, including the one dated July 18, 1997.