The University of South Carolina Sumter welcomes the applications of international students. Since you will have many arrangements to make in order to attend the University, it is important that you apply at least nine months before the semester in which you plan to begin your studies. International applicants must be high school graduates (students that have completed about 12 years of schooling in their home countries).
1. Fill out the University's application form completely by visiting our website at www.uscsumter.edu. There is a $40 application fee.
2. Submit your official TOEFL, IELTS, or PTE Academic Test scores to the University of South Carolina Sumter. English proficiency is measured through the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). A score of at least 550 on the paper based exam or 77 on the internet based TOEFL is required. USC Sumter also accepts the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) or the PTE Academic Test. Students must score at least a 6.5 on the IELTS, or at least a 53 on the PTE. The Faculty Admissions Committee makes exceptions based on varying qualifications.
3. Submit official (or attested copy) transcript(s) from all high school records in their native language. In addition, if your transcript is not in English, you must submit a certified transcript translated into English by a school official.
4. Submit a professional credentials evaluation with a GPA reported on a U.S. grading scale. If you have attended any school outside of the United States, you must submit an official professional credentials evaluation. Applicants must submit a document-by-document or course-by-course evaluation. An admissions decision will not be made until the evaluation and all transcripts are on file. US citizens (freshman or transfer applicants) who have attempted any courses outside the United States must submit a credentials evaluation and transcripts from their international work with a GPA reported on a U.S. grading scale. Information about the credentials evaluation requirement:
Please note that a fee from the student is required for the evaluation of credentials. The payment and all contact regarding this process is done directly between the student and the evaluation service of your choice. We will consider an evaluation from any member organization of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES). The web address is www.naces.org. Once the evaluations are completed, they should be sent by the evaluating organization to:
Below is the contact information of two companies that frequently provide us with evaluations.
Josef Silny & Associates, Inc.
World Education Services, Inc.
Citizens from the following areas are exempt from needing to submit a credential evaluation:
5. If you apply for admission before graduating from high school, you must submit an official (or attested copy) of all final transcript(s) and an updated credentials evaluation after you graduate from high school. Your transcript(s) must include a graduation date.
7. Wait to hear from us in regards to your acceptance. Submitting the aforementioned documentation does not guarantee admission to the University of South Carolina Sumter. All documentation will be reviewed, along with additional items if necessary to determine acceptance. If you are accepted, you will receive correspondence from us with additional instructions.
8. Submit financial certification if you are offered admission. USC Sumter must receive official documents which certify that the student will have sufficient funding to attend the University of South Carolina for one academic year. This evidence will be used to issue the student an immigration document (I-20 or DS-2019) which will be required to obtain the F-1 or J-1 student visa at a US embassy or consulate. This process is done after a student has been offered admission.