Other Ways To Give


Appreciated Assets

When making a gift of long-term appreciated assets, you save twice -- on income tax and capital gains tax. You get a charitable deduction for the full fair market value of the gift and you save the capital gains tax that would otherwise be due if you sold the appreciated asset.


Securities are considered a gift to the University on the date the certificate and stock power pass unconditionally from your control (the postmark date if mailed or the date on which we receive an overnight delivery package) or the date the securities are transferred directly to a University of South Carolina Foundation brokerage account. To value the securities, we calculate a mean price using the average of the high and low of the security on the day you relinquish control to the University, as per IRS rules.

Closely-Held Stock

Gifts of closely held stock exceeding $10,000 in value must have a fair market value placed on them by a qualified independent appraiser as required by the IRS for valuing gifts of non-publicly traded stock. An independent CPA who maintains the books for a closely held corporation is deemed to be qualified to value the stock of the corporation. Gifts of $10,000 or less may be valued at the per-share cash purchase price of the most recent transaction.

Personal Property

The University's Libraries and Museums are greatly enriched by gifts of personal property such as rare books, manuscripts, paintings, artifacts and other art objects. Our classrooms and research capabilities are also enriched by contributions of computer hardware and software.

Real Property

You may contribute real property to the University, either as a bequest or, more commonly, by a lifetime transfer, and realize significant tax benefits. The University looks at possible gifts of property on a case-by-case basis. It is a detailed process but very workable and the rewards are great. Gifts of real property may consist of almost any type of property: a personal or recreational residence, a farm or ranch, a commercial building, subdivision lots or any undeveloped parcel of land. The gift may be for all of your interest in the property or an undivided fractional interest.

For information about how to make these kinds of gifts, contact the Office of University Advancement, Joyce H. Hodge at hodgejhauscsumter.edu or 803-938-3782.