Admissions Services

Frequently Asked Questions


How do I apply?
You may apply online by visiting our website at

What are your requirements for freshmen applicants?
Freshman applicants must have either a high-school diploma or its equivalent (GED) prior to enrolling. Accepted applicants must have senior grades and a verification of graduation sent as soon as they are available. Applicants who did not graduate from high school must send transcripts of all available work and a copy of a GED certificate or satisfactory GED test scores.

Freshman applicants must submit:


  1. completed application

  2. specified nonrefundable application fee

  3. official high-school records, up to the time of application

  4. entrance examination scores (SAT or ACT).


Prospective students must have adequate preparation for the curriculum in which they plan to enroll. At a minimum, applicants for admission are required to complete a college preparatory program with units distributed among the following academic subjects:

  1. English (4 units). At least two units must have strong grammar and composition components, at least one must be in English literature, and at least one must be in American literature. Completion of college preparatory English I, II, III, and IV will meet this criterion.

  2. Mathematics (4 units). These include Algebra I, Algebra II, and geometry. (Applied Mathematics I and II may count together as a substitute for Algebra I if a student successfully completes Algebra II.) The fourth course should be selected from among Algebra III/trigonometry, pre-calculus, calculus, statistics, discrete mathematics, or a capstone mathematics course and should be taken during the senior year.

  3. Laboratory Science (3 units). Two units must be taken in two different fields and selected from among biology, chemistry, or physics. The third unit may be from the same field as one of the first two units (biology, chemistry, or physics) or from laboratory science for which biology and/or chemistry is a prerequisite. Courses in earth science, general physical science, or introductory or general environmental science for which biology and/or chemistry is not a prerequisite will not meet this requirement.

  4. Social Studies (3 units). Three units of social studies. One unit of U.S. history is required; a half unit of economics and a half unit of government are strongly recommended.

  5. Foreign Language (2 units). The two units of foreign language must be in the same language.

  6. Academic Elective (1 unit). One college preparatory unit must be taken selected from computer science, English, fine arts, foreign languages, humanities, laboratory science (excluding earth science, general physical science, general environmental science, or other introductory science courses for which biology and/or chemistry is not a prerequisite), mathematics above the level of Algebra II, or social sciences.

  7. Physical Education (1 unit). One unit of physical education or ROTC is required.

  8. Fine Art (1 unit). One unit in Appreciation of, History of, or Performance in one of the fine arts.


Units Required: 19
In addition to completion of the above units, students must meet requirements based on entrance examination scores and weighted core GPA.

Do you have a minimum ACT/SAT score required for admission?
The ACT/SAT test score is one factor in admissions consideration. The score is placed into a mathematical equation with your GPA on the courses we require for admission to determine your admission status.  Therefore, we do not have a minimum score.

I took AP courses in high school, how do I request the scores?
You may visit the College Board website at to request your AP scores be sent to USC Sumter. Our College Board Code is 5821. Reports should be sent directly from the College Board to USC Sumter, 200 Miller Road, Sumter, SC 29150.

How much is the application fee?
The application fee for degree seeking students is $40.  The fee for non-degree seeking students and readmits is $10.

Do you offer application fee waivers?
We honor ACT/SAT fee waivers and the South Carolina College Application Day fee waivers.

What is citizenship verification?
In accordance with section 59-101-430 of the South Carolina Code of Laws, as amended in 2008, the University of South Carolina has adopted a general enrollment policy effective January 1, 2009.  To attend a public university in the state, a student must be a citizen or national of the United States or an alien lawfully present in the United States.

Students must now provide proof of citizenship before being allowed to enroll in classes at the University. This verification process has been adopted to deter and prevent false claims of citizenship by unlawful aliens attempting to evade the eligibility requirements of section 59-101-430.

To verify citizenship, students must complete a form and provide one of the following documents:


  • Copy of your South Carolina driver’s license if you first became a licensed driver after January 1, 2002.  The University may verify the license with the SC Department of Motor Vehicles.

  • Certified Birth Certificate indicating you were born in the United States or a territory of the United States, with your given name and surname, date and place of birth, date the birth record was filed, and the seal or other certification of the official custodian of the certificate.  The certificate will be retained by the University.  PHOTOCOPIES ARE UNACCEPTABLE



If verification of your citizenship is based on any other document (Current U.S. Passport or U.S. Passport that has not been expired more than 10 years, Certificate of Naturalization -- USCIS Form (N-550 or N-570), U.S. government issued Consular Report of Birth Abroad, Certificate of Citizenship (N-560 or N-561)), you complete the form and bring the original document to Admissions Office.

Am I eligible to pay in-state tuition?
Eligibility to pay in-state tuition is based on several factors.  General information is provided below with links to the appropriate website to download South Carolina regulations and the code of laws.  For more information, please contact the Admissions Office at 803-775-USCS (8727)

In-State Tuition

Our Responsibilities

The University of South Carolina is required by state law to determine the resident classification of all applicants interested in claiming South Carolina as their state of legal residence for the purpose of accurately assessing tuition and fees. Initial determinations are made by South Carolina Residency for all students at the time of their admission. The initial determination of a student's resident status made at the time of admission, and any determination made thereafter, prevails for each subsequent semester until new information becomes available that would impact the resident status of a student. The burden to provide documentation for any legal residency determination rests with the student. Students are required to provide all evidence necessary to document that they have completed the steps required to establish and/or maintain eligibility for claiming South Carolina as their state of legal residence.

State Laws and Regulations

For more information about the laws and regulations that govern the University of South Carolina's residency eligibility determinations, please visit the South Carolina Commission on Higher Education website, or the South Carolina Legislature website.

Do you need the transcripts from every school I have attended?
Students applying as degree seeking, must submit official transcripts from each college attended.  High school transcripts are required if you have less than 30 credit hours of transfer work completed.  Non-degree seeking students are not required to submit college transcripts.

Will my courses transfer to USC Sumter?
Official transfer evaluations are completed after acceptance; however, students may use the transfer equivalency database below for an unofficial pre-evaluation of credits.  

Transfer Equivalency Database

Note: If your courses are not listed in the database, they may still be eligible for transfer.  Additional information will be provided during the advisement process.

What programs/degree majors do you offer?

Programs completed on the USC Sumter Campus

  • Early Childhood Education

  • Elementary Education

  • Business Administration (Management)

  • Liberal Studies

  • Organization Leadership

  • Human Services

  • Criminal Justice

  • Nursing (for returning RNs)



Students may start any of the 70 plus programs offered by the University of South Carolina on our campus and complete them at the main campus in Columbia or any of our four-year campuses within the USC System

What are your office hours?
We are open 8:30 – 5:00 pm, Monday through Friday.

How do I request an appointment?
Simply call 803-938-3717 to schedule an appointment with an admissions counselor.




top of back button menu

Back to previous page