Policy Manual



Academic Regulations

Policy #:


Authorized by:

Associate Dean for Academic Affairs - 12/03/13

Approved by:

Dean of the University - 12/03/13


This form is used if the student is withdrawing from all courses in which he or she is currently enrolled.  In the event that the student is withdrawing from second eight week courses, and has already received grades in first eight week courses of the same semester, a schedule adjustment form is used.

1.The Records Office completes part B of the form by verifying the student's enrollment on the CRT.  If the withdrawal is within the refund period, tell the student that the computer will automatically calculate refunds and to contact the Business Office about any refund problems.

2.Once the student's schedule is verified, go to the Withdrawal Screen and withdraw the student from all courses.  Sign the form in part B and indicate which campus.

3.The yellow copy of the Withdrawal Notification is given to the student; the white copy is mailed to the Office of the Registrar in Columbia.  The green copy is filed in the Records Office with other Withdrawal Notifications.

4.Part C should be completed after all data have been updated successfully.


Enrollment in a course obligates the student not only for prompt completion of all work assigned but also for punctual and regular attendance and for participation in whatever class discussion may occur.  It is the student's responsibility to keep informed concerning all assignments made.  Absences, whether excused or unexcused, do not absolve him from this responsibility.

Absence from more than 10% of the scheduled class sessions whether excused or unexcused is excessive and the instructor may choose to exact a grade penalty for such absences.


Final examinations are held over a seven-day period at the close of each semester; examination schedules are made available as they are published. The results of these examinations, combined with the grades for class performance, determine the reports given at the end of the semester. No final examination may be held outside of the stated time without the special permission of the dean of the college concerned.

In any course or laboratory which meets two or three times per week, no quiz, test or examination may be given during the last two class meetings prior to the regularly scheduled examination period in any semester. In any course or laboratory which meets once a week, no quiz, test or examination may be given during the last class meeting prior to the regular examination period. Self-paced courses are exempt from this regulation.

If an instructor teaches more than one section of the same course, students may transfer from one examination section to another with the instructor's permission.

Students who are absent from any final examination will be given the grade of F on the course if they have not offered an excuse acceptable to the instructor. If excused, they will be assigned a grade of I and may complete the course through a deferred examination.

Reexaminations for the purpose of removing an F or raising a grade are not permitted.


A student with excused absences from final examinations in one semester has the privilege of deferred or special examinations and may take the deferred examination at the next regular examination period, with credit for semester standing, provided the examination is taken at the convenience of the professor. The examination must be taken within one calendar year from the time that the absence was incurred.  Deferred examinations will be granted only in case of absence certified as unavoidable because of sickness or other cause, rendering attendance at final examinations impossible.

Grades are an indication of the proficiency of a student's endeavors while attending the University. The grade of a college student in any course is determined by his/her class standing and his/her examination grade, combined in such proportion as the professor may decide. Class standing is determined by the quality of a student's work and the regularity of attendance in the lectures and the laboratory sessions or other exercises of the course.


The grading system approved by the University Faculty Senate meeting of March 1, 1978 is based on the principle that the plus (+) system would provide a greater range of differentiation in grading.  The grading system was effective for all undergraduate students at the University beginning with the Fall 1978 semester.


A, B, C, D represent passing grades in order from highest to lowest.  B+, C+, and D+ may also be recorded for undergraduate students.

F represents failure performance.

S indicates satisfactory performance and U indicates unsatisfactory performance in courses carried under Pass-Fail Option or noncredit options.  The S/U designation is used also for research courses, workshops, and seminars in which regular academic grades are not used.  The use of the Pass-Fail Option is indicated in their catalog descriptions.  No course carried under the Pass-Fail Option will affect a student's grade point average or the evaluation of suspension conditions.

W is assigned for withdrawals from a course during the first six weeks of a semester (excluding the late registration period). In exceptional cases, the grade will be used after the first six weeks of a semester primarily in cases of withdrawal from the University or from a course for medical reasons.  A grade of "W" will not enter into the evaluation of suspension conditions or in Grade Point Average computation.

WF is assigned for withdrawal from a course after the first six weeks of a semester (the deadline prescribed in the University's academic calendar for withdrawal without a penalty), and is treated as an "F" in the evaluation of suspension conditions and Grade Point Average computation.

I, incomplete, indicates satisfactory attendance and performance, but failure to complete some portion of the assigned work in a course.  By arrangement with the instructor, the student will have 12 months in which to complete the work before a permanent grade is recorded.  After one year a make-up grade can be recorded only if approved by the appropriate petitions committee.  An I is treated as an F in the evaluation of suspension conditions and in the calculation of Grade Point Average.

T is assigned by the Graduate School for Thesis Preparation (799) and Dissertation (899) indicating enrollment in these courses.  This symbol will be counted as hours attempted and hours earned only.  No grade points will be awarded.  For unsatisfactory work the grade or U should be assigned.  The grade of I cannot be assigned in courses numbered 799 and 899.

AUD indicates a course was carried on an audit basis, the student is not responsible for any course work and the grade is not computed in grade totals.

NR, No Record, is assigned by the Office of the Registrar, in the event as instructor fails to submit a student's grade by the proper time.  It is a temporary mark on the permanent record and must be replaced by a grade.

IP, In Progress, is a designator for classes or workshops which extend over two or more academic sessions.  Use of this indicator is restricted to extended sessions.


The grade point average is computed on the basis of all semester hours attempted for credit, except for credit hours carried under the Pass-Fail option.  The GPA is not affected by courses taken on a noncredit or audit basis.  No course in which a grade of S, U, AUD, or W was earned is considered in computing the GPA.

The grade points earned in any course carried with a passing grade (A, B+, B, C+, C, D+, D) are computed by multiplying the number of semester hour credits assigned to the course by a factor determined by the grade. No grade points are assigned to the symbols F, S, U, WF, W, I, AUD, or NR.  The grade point average is determined by dividing the total number of grade points earned by the total number of semester hours attempted for credit (excepting hours carried on a Pass-Fail basis). 



A 4.00 4 16.00

C 2.00 3 6.00

S - 3 -

F 0.00 1 0.00

B+ 3.50 3 10.50

P - 3 -

A 4.00 2 8.00

19 hours carried of 40.50

which 13 are GPA hours

40.50/13 = 3.11 GPA



Each semester academic achievement is recognized by entering on the President's Honor List of the Dean's Honor List the names of students who, in the previous semester, attained the following standards:

President's Honor List:  a grade point average of 4.00 earned on a minimum of 12 credited semester hours.

Dean's Honor List:  a grade point average of 3.50 or higher (3.25 or higher for freshmen) earned on a minimum of 12 credited semester hours.

No course carried on a Pass-Fail basis or Correspondence Courses will be counted toward the 12 hours required for either the President's or Dean's Honor List.


Graduation with honors will be based on a cumulative GPA calculated on the basis of all work in the student's college career, including any transferred from other institutions.  This calculation will include all courses attempted, not just those submitted in fulfillment of graduation requirements.

Transfer students who apply to graduate with honors, in addition to their overall record, must show a GPA at USC which meets the level specified for the honors being sought.  NOTE:  Transfer work cannot raise the honor level.  For example, USC only work -3.74 GPA, transfer only work - 3.85 GPA, combined total - 3.79 GPA; honors would be "With Honors" not "With High Honors".

The following designations indicate a consistently high level of academic achievement throughout the student's entire academic career.  To graduate with such honors, a student must have earned at least 60 credit hours applicable toward the degree in residence at the University, 30 credit hours for an Associate Degree.

Summa Cum Laude:  a cumulative GPA of 4.00

Magna Cum Laude:  a cumulative GPA of 3.75 - 3.99

Cum Laude:  a cumulative GPA of 3.50 - 3.74


It is the expectation of the University that students will maintain at least a C average on all work attempted; on the grading scale employed by the University, this means that a student must maintain at least a 2.00 GPA in order to remain in good academic standing with the institution.  Any student whose semester, yearly, or cumulative GPA falls below 2.00 is considered to be scholastically deficient.

The dean of each college will review all deficiency situations and determine the appropriate action to be taken.  Scholastically deficient students who have failed to make satisfactory progress toward completion of the degree may be placed on scholastic probation on such terms as the dean may designate or may be advised to withdraw from the major or from the University. Students who fail to meet the conditions of the probation may be required to leave that degree program.

Students are reminded that progression standards may vary from one major to another.

A scholastically deficient student's eligibility to continue in the University is determined by the grade point deficit (GPD). The GPD is the number of grade points a student lacks of having a 2.00 GPA.  This can easily be calculated by subtracting the number of grade point hours attempted:

GPD = (2 x grade point hours) - (grade point hours earned)

A student's cumulative GPD will be based only on work at USC taken in Fall semester, 1980 or later.  Refer also to SUSPENSION POLICY.



A scholastically deficient student's eligibility to continue in the University is determined by the grade point deficit (GPD). The GPD is the number of grade points a student lacks of having a 2.00 GPA.  This can easily be calculated by subtracting the number of grade point hours attempted:

GPD = (2 x grade point hours) - (grade point hours earned)

A student's cumulative GPD will be based only on work at USC taken in Fall semester, 1980 or later.

The record of every scholastically deficient student will be reviewed at the end of each Fall and Spring semester.  The following standards will then be applied:

First suspension:  Any student who is scholastically deficient at the beginning of a Fall or Spring semester will be suspended at the end of that semester if either the yearly or the cumulative GPD is 24 or more.  Suspended students will not be considered for readmission to the University until they have served at least one major term and the summer on suspension (approximately 8 months).

Subsequent suspension:  A student reinstated or readmitted from suspension will be reviewed at the end of the first semester after returning.  A grade point average of 2.00 or higher must be obtained each semester to avoid a subsequent suspension.

The duration of a second or subsequent suspension is indefinite and the student can be considered for readmission only after being approved for reinstatement by action of the petitions committee of the college or school to which the student is seeking admission. A favorable decision by the committee is unlikely within two years of the suspension.  A student on suspension may not be admitted to, or continue in, any program of the University for credit or for grade point average purposes.  Credit earned at other institutions or by correspondence of any origin while a student is on suspension from the University may not be applied toward a degree from USC or used for improving the grade point average.

Students are reminded that these rules are for suspension from the University.  Some colleges or schools in the University may impose more stringent requirements for retention in degree programs.


To be officially enrolled in the University a student must be academically eligible, have his registration material approved by the dean of the college in which the student is matriculating and approved by the Registrar, and possess a receipt issued by the Treasurer for payment of current academic fees.  Enrollment by proxy is not allowed unless permission has been obtained in advance from the Office of the Registrar.

A student is expected to complete registration (including the payment of all required fees) on the dates prescribed in the University calendar.  Those failing to do so will be required to pay a late registration fee of $5 per day ($350 maximum).


This is a student initiated form.  The student must sign the form before anyone is allowed to register on the student's behalf.  If at all possible the student must come in to register rather than by proxy. All requests for proxy forms should be discussed with the student and discouraged unless the student has a valid excuse from registration.

The proxy may bring the signed form to registration; it is required that the form be on file before registration in the Registration Box.


All auditors must be admitted to the University and go through the regular registration process.  Those who are not full-time students will be charged an audit fee.

Auditing a course consists of attending classes and listening without actively participating in the class.  An auditor is not responsible for any assignments or examinations.  No credit may be earned in an audited course by examination or otherwise.  No audited course may be repeated for credit at a later date.

The request for the privilege of auditing a course should be made to the academic department concerned, and should be for a specified semester.  The applicant must complete the prescribed procedure for enrollment through the Office of the Registrar before class attendance will be permitted.  A student must have been admitted to the University to be eligible for auditing any course.

Students who have registered for a course on an audit basis and who wish to change their registration to take the course for credit (or who wish to change from credit to audit) must do so no later that the last day to change course schedule or drop without a grade of W being recorded, as published in the University's academic calendar.  The change must be requested on a Schedule Adjustment Form properly signed by the advisor and submitted to the Office of the Registrar.  A graduate student may not audit a course unless simultaneously enrolled in at least one other course for credit.

Graduate students who are not enrolled for credit must obtain permission from the Graduate Dean in order to audit a course. Also, graduate programs will not allow audits.



1. The Office of Continuing Education handles all paperwork and registration.

2. The course is entered on the CRT after the course work is completed.  The course is entered for the term in which the work was completed (by Columbia).

  1. If a student wants to take a correspondence course during his/her last 30 hours, the student must file a petition with the Dean of the college on the Columbia campus.

  2. Correspondence course fees are separate from all other academic fees.

5. Enrollment in correspondence courses does not appear in the computer until after the course has been completed.


When a course is repeated, both grades will be entered on the student's permanent academic record and included in the grade point average, but course credit toward graduation will be given only once, unless otherwise stipulated in the course description.


Any change in enrollment must be recorded with the Office of the Registrar.

Adding a course, changing from credit to audit or audit to credit, changing one section to another, or changing the number of credits in any course must be completed by the last day to change course schedule or drop without a grade of W being recorded.

Electing or revoking the Pass/Fail Option must be completed no later than the last day for dropping a course without a grade of WF being recorded.


1. The student must have an advisor's signature to add or audit a course, change to the Pass/Fail Option, or change a course from credit to audit status, unless it is specifically listed on the student's Advisement and Registration form. When a signature is required, the student should first attempt to contact his/her advisor. If the advisor is not available, contact the Advisement Center.

2.  After the appropriate signatures have been obtained, the Records Office staff member verifies that the form is filled out properly for the type of transaction being processed.

3.  The Schedule Adjustment Form is then entered on the CRT using the registration program.  Enter the change while the student is present.  This will eliminate writing a letter if problems arise.

4.  Give the student the white copy and send the canary copy to the student's advisor. 

This is a local form; a purchase order must be submitted to have additional copies printed.



<In accordance with the Family Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (Federal Register June 17, 1976, Vol.40 #118) (P.L. 93-380, 513), as amended, (P.L. 93-568, 2) effective 11/19/74., a copy of which is on file in a notebook in the Records Office.>

Recognition by the University of every person's general right to privacy forms the basis of University policy for the release of information from student records.  The policy itself is intended to ensure that none but proper purposes are served by the release of information and to see that students are not inconvenienced or disadvantaged by an overprotective release policy.  Within this context, it is the policy of the University of South Carolina to refuse release of non-public information from student records without the consent of the subject thereof except to persons engaged in the proper performance of University duties.

A record of all parties who have requested or obtained access to each student's records (with the exception of approved school officials) will be maintained and kept with the records. This record of access will indicate specifically the interest that each party has in obtaining this information.

Further, it is the policy of the University that effective November 19, 1974, each enrolled student , or former student, of the University of South Carolina shall have the right to inspect and review any and all official educational records, files and data directly related to that student after a request for access to such records has been made on the approved form and in accordance with the approved University procedure for such access. (Materials not included in educational records are personal notes, law enforcement records, employment records, medical and psychiatric records, and counseling records.) Such access will be granted within a reasonable time, but in no case more that forty-five days after the request has been made, provided if Congress should amend the act restricting access and inspection to any such records and materials, then any such records and materials shall remain free from inspection.


Certain types of information are considered public in nature and the University will normally release such information routinely.  Examples are:

1. Facts which have been made public by publication in an open directory or similar material. Directory information may include student's name, address, telephone listing, date and place of birth, major field of study, participation in officially recognized activities and sports, weight and height of members of athletic teams, dates of attendance, degrees and awards received (including scholarships and fellowships), and the most recent previous educational agency or institution attended by the student.

2. Facts contained in official law enforcement records. Information considered not in the public domain will not be released until consent (actual or presumptive) is given by the student concerned.


Release of personally identifiable records and files without written consent of the student will not be made except to the following:

  1. Other University officials, including faculty, within the University of S.C. who have legitimate educational interest.

  2. Officials of other institutions in which the student intends to enroll or work upon condition that the student has requested a release of the student's record on the appropriate form.

3. Authorized representatives of certain governmental agencies in connection with the audit and evaluation of federally supported educational programs, provided that the collection of any personally identifiable data shall not include information which would permit the personal identification of such students after the data has been collected.

4. In connection with student's application for a receipt of financial aid.

5. In compliance with judicial order or lawfully issued subpoenas prior to compliance therewith.


An appropriate hearing board shall be established to provide each student with an opportunity to challenge the content of University records, to insure that the records are not inaccurate or misleading and to provide an opportunity for the correction or deletion of any inaccurate, misleading or otherwise inappropriate data contained therein.  Such requests should be made through the office of the University Ombudsman.


Students may examine their own educational records with the following exceptions:

1.Parental financial records.

2.Any confidential letters of recommendation requested by the student and filed before Nov. 19, 1974. A student has the right to see such letters written after that date, but may waive this right. However, a student may request the names of those who have submitted confidential recommendations.


Persons or parties to whom information may be released:

1.Students and their parents.  After establishing identity, a student (or a student's parents or legal guardians, if the student is under 18, may review the contents of most records which the University maintains.

2.Prospective employers (nongovernmental).  Upon written authorization from the individual concerned, the University will release information to all prospective employers.

3.Governmental agencies.  In connection with the audit and evaluation of federally supported education programs or in connection with the enforcement of the federal legal requirements which relate to such programs the following governmental officials or their authorized representatives may have access to student records:

a. The Secretary of Health, Education and Welfare.

b. The Commissioner, the Director of the National Institute of Education, or the Assistant Secretary for Education.

c. State educational authorities.

4.Other educational institutions. Application to transfer (or actual transfer) will serve to authorize the University to send information to other educational institutions to which a student has applied for transfer. In keeping with recognized practices, grade information may also be issued on request to institutions from which our students have come. Non-personally identifiable information may be released to accrediting agencies and organizations conducting studies for purposes of developing or administering tests and similar materials.

5.University personnel.  University personnel may obtain information contained in records (other than counseling and health records which are completely confidential) maintained and kept within the University.  Those persons requesting access to student records must establish to the satisfaction of the custodian thereof that such requests are a necessary function of the inquirer's official duties.


The handling of specific types of records used within the University is explained below.

1.Permanent academic records. (See Director of Student Records) Information in permanent academic records is confidential. Inquiries concerning information from permanent academic files should be referred to the Records Office. All suspensions are noted in permanent academic records; however, transcripts issued after a student's graduation will have no notation of suspensions.

2.Conduct records. (See Assistant Dean for Campus Relations) Ordinarily information from conduct records is not released without written authorization of the student concerned (or the parent or guardian if the student is under 18).  Exceptions to this rule include: a. information requests from other educational institutions to which students seek admission; b. cases in which records are subpoenaed; and c. government security investigations (under the restrictions outlined above).

3.Employment records.  (See Director, Personnel Services) Student employment records are confidential and may be reviewed only by the employee or the employee's supervisor.  Release of information from such files to other persons will be allowed only upon the written authorization of the employee.

4.Counseling records.  (See Director, Counseling Bureau -Psychological Services Center) All counseling relationships are private.  Contents of counseling records, including interviews, tests, and evaluations, are confidential.  Because such records pertain to treatment purposes and are available only to recognized professionals or paraprofessionals in connection with such treatment, students are not permitted access.  No requests for information from such records to recognized professionals will be honored without a written release signed by the student (except requests pursuant to court order to subpoena).  Note: Information received in confidence may be revealed to appropriate professional workers or public authorities when there is clear and imminent danger to an individual or to society and then only after most careful deliberation.

5.Medical records.  (See Director, University Health Service Records) All medical records are confidential. Students are not permitted access to medical records. However, information may be released to the physicians treating the student concerned, or may be released otherwise pursuant to court order or subpoena as directed by law.

6.Student aid records.  (See Director, Student Financial Aid) Specific financial information contained within a student's file supplies by that person may not be released without the permission of the student concerned (or the student's legal guardian, in the case of a minor); but public information (facts such as participation in various scholarships/fellowships programs and jobs held, etc.) may be made available in appropriate situations without prior permission. Students may not review the financial records of their parents which are on file.

7.Official grade-books.  (See Registrar - Temporary Academic Records) Various University personnel require the use of grade-books in advising students.  While this information may be used by University staff personnel, it will not ordinarily be the source for answers to outside inquiries related to a student's academic standing or accomplishments.

8.Law enforcement records.  (See Chief, Public Safety, Security, and Communications) Official law enforcement records are public records.  Information from investigative records, however, is released only in accordance with customary law enforcement practices.

9.Placement records.  (See Director, Placement Bureau) Upon the

request of students compiling job resumes, individuals may write evaluations of students for use within the Placement Bureau or similar offices maintained by individual colleges or schools.  Copies of these evaluations may be forwarded to prospective employers at their request or as requested by the students involved.  The contents of these evaluations may not be made available to students concerned, if they were written prior to January 1, 1975.  A student has a right to see such evaluations submitted after that date, but may waive this right.

10.Graduate student records. (See Dean, Graduate School) Student progress evaluation and assistantship information files are maintained by the various schools and departments.  These materials are available for student scrutiny, but, as with all official

records, may not be releases to others without written consent of the student.


The following statutes from the Code of Laws of South Carolina, 1976, require the following information to be submitted to the Superintendent of Education and tabulated for reporting to the General Assembly:

59-101-130.  High schools shall report to the Superintendent of Education; institutions of higher learning shall report to the high schools.

On or before May first of each calendar year, every high school which issues a State high school diploma shall submit to the State Superintendent of Education in such form as he may prescribe the following data:

(1) The number of high school graduates that entered the freshman class of an institution of higher learning, either

in or out of this State, for whom a first semester report has been received.

(2) A breakdown showing all courses passed by such group.

(3) A breakdown showing all courses failed by such group. Every high school shall seek diligently to obtain such data

from out-of-State institutions of higher learning.  Any high school which fails to file a report or files a false report

shall lose its accreditation.

Every institution of higher learning in this State shall submit to the State high school from which each freshman was graduated a report on the first semester accomplishments of each freshman. [NOTE:  USC-Columbia does this for all campuses in the USC system.]

50-101-140.  Tabulation of reports.  After such reports have been received, the State Superintendent of Education shall cause them to be tabulated so as to show the academic performance of graduates from the respective high schools who entered institutions of higher learning.  When such tables have been prepared, they shall be included in the annual report of the State Superintendent of Education as presented to the General Assembly.  The State Superintendent of Education shall acquaint the proper officials of the institutions of higher learning with the requirements of 50-101-130.


The Vice President for Administrative Services is responsible for implementing and interpreting this policy.


1. The Admissions Office is responsible for typing and producing all Transfer Credit Summaries for new applicants and sending them to the Records Office for proper distribution.

2. The Records Office is responsible for mailing all Transfer Credit Summaries for evaluations and receiving all completed evaluations.  The Records Office maintains a notebook on R:Base of all Transfer Credit Summaries that are sent and received.

3. Once evaluated copies of Transfer Credit Summaries have been received by the Records Office, copies are forwarded either to the advisors or to the Administrative Assistant in the Advisement Center.


4.  The Advisement Center maintains all advisement folders for students who are fully accepted in the Admissions Office, regardless of the term applied for.

Once a new student is fully accepted in the Admissions Office, the advisement folder is pulled and forwarded to the Advisement Center for maintenance.  The Records Office sends any evaluated Transfer Credit Summaries to the Advisement Center if the student does not register.

5.  The Admissions Office is responsible for typing in the specific concentration for all Aiken Business majors, i.e., should have either "Management" or "Finance" typed in.

6.  The Chairman of the Division of Business and Economics no longer does unofficial evaluations of Transfer Credit Summaries for students or advisors.  A currently enrolled student interested in the Aiken Business Program should set up an appointment with the Aiken General Business Coordinator.  The student who wants a transfer credit evaluation for the Aiken Business program will have to complete a "Change of Major" form through the Records Office to indicate Aiken Business as his/her major.  The Records Office will, in turn, produce a Transfer Credit Summary for the Aiken Business Coordinator to officially evaluate.


A continuing student who requires a new Transfer Credit Summary due to a change of major, will be processed by the Office of Student Records.  The Records Office will retype and submit the Transfer Credit Summary for the new major.  The Records Office will be responsible for providing a copy of the evaluated Transfer Credit Summary to the advisor, and filing a copy in the Transfer Credit Summary files.


All Transfer Credit Summaries prepared by various offices on the Sumter Campus (Admissions and Records) for B.S. degree in Management or Finance at USC-Aiken must be reviewed by the Aiken Business Coordinator prior to sending.  The reviewed copy from the Aiken Business Coordinator will be sent to Student Records where Xerox copies will be sent to the student's advisor and the student's permanent record folder.  The original is sent to the Student Services Coordinator who will forward it to Aiken.